Top 20 Destinations Shopped for Third Quarter 2014
According to nSight Travel Intelligence, New York and Paris Maintain #1 Positions While Boston and Dubai Show Increases in Popularity for U.S. and International Travel Consumers
NASHVILLE, TN – October 17, 2014 – nSight, the leading provider of online consumer shopping intelligence for the travel industry, today released insights on search-driven travel trends for the third quarter. The Top 20 Destinations are based on an analysis of nSight consumer travel intent data for July – September (Q3) 2014.
nSight captures more than 80 million consumer searches and bookings daily across travel websites worldwide including online travel agencies (OTAs), tour operators and vacation rental sites. With a comprehensive view of consumer travel intent, destinations and hotels have a better understanding of active consumers and use that insight to take action in order to increase visitors and optimize marketing ROI.
Top Destinations for Global Travelers
The analysis of top destinations for global travelers includes searches from all source markets worldwide. The #1 U.S. destination continues to be New York, followed by Los Angeles and Orlando. For international destinations outside the U.S., the top three are Paris, London and Barcelona. Compared to the previous quarter, changes worth noting include:
- After making a big move onto the top 20 in Q2, Washington, D.C., held strong increasing to the #17 position for Q3.
- Moving in and out of the top 20 over the last few quarters, Denver moved up 2 spots to #18.
- Fairfax/Arlington/Alexandria, VA, a suburb of Washington, D.C., broke into the top 20 by moving up 4 positions.
- Spain has the most representation in the top destinations list with four cities in the top 20 – Barcelona, Madrid, Malaga and Valencia.
- Dubai has growing global appeal increasing 5 positions to #11 for international destinations.
Top 20 Destinations for Third Quarter for Global Travelers
U.S. vs. International
|U.S. DESTINATIONS||INTERNATIONAL DESTINATIONS|
|1||NEW YORK||PARIS, FR|
|2||LOS ANGELES||LONDON, GB|
|4||MIAMI-FORT LAUDERDALE||ROME, IT|
|5||LAS VEGAS||MADRID, ES|
|7||SAN FRANCISCO||AMSTERDAM, NL|
|9||SAN DIEGO||BERLIN, DE|
|10||DALLAS-FORT WORTH||BANGKOK, TH|
|16||NEW ORLEANS||VENICE, IT|
|17||WASHINGTON, D.C.||TORONTO, CA|
|19||SAN ANTONIO||MUNICH, DE|
Source: nSight database of hotel searches on third-party travel websites worldwide.
U.S. Destination Trends – U.S. Travelers
Diving into the specific interests of U.S. travelers reflected in their searches on third-party sites, the top destinations remain consistent with New York, Los Angeles and Orlando in the top 3 spots, while some markets make big moves over the last two quarters.
- Both Boston climbs 3 positions up to #8 for domestic travel.
- Honolulu makes the most significant increase moving up 15 positions to rank #15 in the top searched destinations by U.S. travelers for Q3.
International Destination Trends – U.S. Travelers
While Q2 saw great advancements for Barcelona (+14) and Athens (+17), the destinations that jumped in rank for Q3 ranged from the Middle East to South America:
- Paris is the top international destination for U.S. travelers, moving ahead of Q2 leaders London (dropping from #1 to #2) and Cancun (dropping from #2 to #3).
- Dubai continues to be a hot destination of interest for the U.S., moving up 10 spots to #10.
- Madrid maintains high interest for U.S. travelers, as well as for international, increasing 6 to #13.
- Rio de Janeiro comes in at #16, up 7 positions from the previous quarter.
For an infographic and more on nSight’s travel trends, visit our blog at http://nsight2.wpengine.com/news/blog/.
A customized web-based application, nSight allows city, state or country DMOs and hotels to easily benchmark performance against their competitive sets across more than 5,000 third-party websites. With easy to follow data visualization, concise analytics and compelling graphics, the first-in-class BI solution’s intuitive interface allows users to discover trends and reveal opportunities at the both the consumer and geo-market level, and then quickly act on the insights.
About nSight (nsight2.wpengine.com)
nSight is a travel intelligence company that offers data and insight based on the world’s largest database of active travel shoppers to help destinations and hotels grow market share. Only nSight aggregates data on consumer trends, travel intent and search behavior from more than 80 million travel consumer “looks and books” every day from a network of over 5,000 third-party travel sites. Understanding shopping behavior, preferences and future demand, as well as competitive position, enables better decision making. Unlike any other business intelligence solution, nSight makes it easy to grow by offering a range of tools to use for making decisions and taking action on the insights we provide. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.